For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), the data controller is the City and Guilds of London Institute (City & Guilds, we, our or us). City & Guilds is a body incorporated by Royal Charter and registered as a charity in England and Wales (Reg. No. 312832) and in Scotland (Reg. No. SC039576). Our registered office is at 1 Giltspur Street, London EC1A 9DD.
This policy sets out the basis on which we will process any personal data that we collect from you via our site www.mycertis.com (mycertis).
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process all personal information that you provide to us, including:
- Candidate information including your name, date or birth, gender, candidate enrolment number and address.
- Information relating to your education, including the details of any centres you have been enrolled with, and any learning that you have undertaken, and your academic history and results (including completion, pass, and fail results).
- Information relating to any organisation that you may work for if you provide this information to us.
- Information that you provide to us via mycertis. For example, the information you provide if you set up an account via mycertis, request information, or order an item via mycertis.
- If you contact us via mycertis, or in connection with mycertis, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Information necessary for us to fulfil any order for goods or services placed via the mycertis.
We may collect information about your computer, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type, for system administration and management purposes. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Storage of your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our servers in the United Kingdom. We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. However, please note that the transmission of information via the internet is never completely secure.
Where we have given you, or you have selected, user account details, you are responsible for keeping such details confidential and you must not share these details with any other person or organisation.
Use of your personal data
We may use information held about you in the following ways:
- To maintain a complete, accurate, and up to date learning record.
- To enable us to fulfil any order for goods placed via mycertis.
- To enable us to provide the services available to users of mycertis.
- To provide you with information about goods and services that you request from us.
- To provide you with information about goods and services which we feel may interest you (such as marketing and promotional offers), where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To notify you about any important changes to mycertis.
Sharing your information
We may share, or enable certain third parties to view, your personal information (including your learning history and academic results) in the following ways:
- We may share your personal information with any member of our group to enable us to process personal information in an efficient manner, for example, via shared infrastructure.
- We may share your personal information with certain service providers contracted to us to provide services in connection with mycertis on our behalf. Some of these services providers may be located outside of the EEA. We may, therefore, transfer your personal information outside of the EEA to enable these services providers to to provide services to you on our behalf.
- We may share your information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligations, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms.
- If you have enrolled in an ESOL or IESOL qualification, we may enable authorised users of mycertis from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to view your academic information to enable the UKVI to verify whether you have met certain academic requirements.
- Where you have given your consent via your mycertis account, we may enable certain authorised users of mycertis to view your academic information to enable them to verify whether you have met certain academic requirements. For example, where you have elected that a potential employer may view your academic information to prove that you have the qualifications necessary for a certain job.
- We may enable education providers to view your information, and administer and edit certain information about you in order to ensure that your records are correct to enable us to maintain a complete, accurate, and up to date learning record.
- In the event that our business (or control of our business) is sold to a third party, in which case personal data may be transferred to that third party purchaser.
In each case, we will ensure that there are appropriate contractual arrangements and security mechanisms in place to protect your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
You have the right to ask us not to send you electronic marketing. You may exercise this right by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You will also be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from our mailing list by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any marketing email we may send you, or by contacting us directly at anytime (our contact details are below).
You have the right to access information which we hold about you by contacting us at the address below. We will then send you an access request to fill in and return to us. We may charge a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Post: The Mycertis team, Operations, City & Guilds, 1 Giltspur St, London EC1A 9DD